Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Things To Read Before I Die

Well, I drafted a recap of the two-week trip to Germany my husband and I took last month, and I've been meaning to publish it for weeks. The draft is sitting there staring at me like a hungry animal, but I really think it needs pictures and I seem to be stuck on this whole uploading photos business. I just don't have pictures to feed you right now, Beast!

Somehow sorting through hundreds of blurry photos of gargoyles just doesn't seem to be grabbing my attention at the moment. So, the draft remains on hold.

But I did do something interesting today. Prompted by in-laws and Christmas, I started my master "Things To Read Before I Die" list. Here's what I have so far:

Fiction
  • Mansfeld Park - Jane Austen
  • Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
  • Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
  • Middlemarch - George Eliot
  • À la recherche du temps perdu (In Search of Lost Time) - Proust
  • The Portrait of a Lady - Henry James
  • For Whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway
  • I, Claudius - Robert Graves
  • Alexander Trilogy - Renault
  • Dr Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
  • Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
  • Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick
  • Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  • The Lost Daughter - Daralyse Lyons
  • Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
  • Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
  • A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
  • Call It Sleep - Henry Roth
  • A Death in the Family - James Agee
  • The Man Who Loved Children - Christina Stead
  • A Passage to India - E.M. Forster
Nonfiction
  • Drive - Daniel Pink
  • Don't Make Me Think - Steven Krug
  • Content Strategy for the World Wide Web - Kristina Halvorson
  • Cluetrain Manifesto - Locke, Levine, Searls, Weinberger
  • The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
  • A Child Called 'It' - Dave Pelzer
  • Churchill - Paul Johnson
  • On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King
  • John Adams - David McCullough
  • Benjamin Franklin - Walter Isaacson
  • Seven Pillars of Wisdon - T.E. Lawrence
  • The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - Edward Gibbon
  • Lives of the Caesars - Suetonius
  • If This is a Man - Primo Levi
  • Loving Frank - Nancy Horan
Like I said, it's a start. This by no means encompasses everything I ever hope to read, but I do really want to read all of these.

What would you add? What should I really read that will disrupt my paradigm, make me laugh, make me cry, or otherwise turn me into a better person?

4 comments:

jlbraaten said...

This is a great list, Meghan! I'm glad to see there are other book worms out there. I've put up a whole section on my blog of book reviews. Feel free to check it out.

You should share some reviews of your favorites as well!

Unknown said...

Great idea! I was just thinking that this morning.

I'll definitely check out your list. Thanks for the tip. :)

Hector Macdonald said...

Good list, Meghan! You might like Book Drum’s illustrated profiles of some of them, which incorporate maps, music, video, pictures and background information to bring the books alive for modern readers. For example:

Tess of the D’Urbervilles on Book Drum

Unknown said...

Interesting. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to fiction, though. I like to start from scratch and paint the characters and scenery in my own mind. :)