Friday, September 03, 2010

Challenges vs. Opportunities

Many people in business prefer the word "opportunity" to the word "challenge." The theory behind this is that people who see opportunities have a more positive outlook than those who see challenges. And I suppose there is validity in this.

But what about those of us who love a good challenge? Who view a challenge not as an obstacle but as something they must respond to?

Most of us are continually bombarded by opportunities. I have an opportunity to go to the movies tonight. To go to dinner. To call my friends. To stay at home. To eat some soup. To eat some donuts. To dance. To sing. To sulk. To go to Valleyfair. To join a club. To start a fight. To have an affair. To write a manifesto. To create a paper mache clown. To visit my grandparents. To invest in stocks. To go on a murderous rampage.

Opportunities are all around me, and most of them will not be taken.

But a challenge speaks to me differently. For instance:

"I bet I'm better at Scrabble than you are."

"Oh reeeeaally? Is that a challenge? Let me show you what's what."

It's competition, a desire to win that makes a challenge so becoming. I've done some of my very best work when overcoming challenges - tight deadlines, opposition, lack of precedent, etc. The challenge makes it fun.

When most people look at Mount Everest, I'm sure they see an opportunity to climb a mountain. But I'm willing to bet the only people who actually try it are those who see a challenge, who view the mountain as a taunt. I dare you to climb me.

I honestly believe that many people who do great things do it because they love the challenge. Yes, it's competitive, but it leads to amazing things.

Is there really anything wrong with that?

No comments: