Monday, June 20, 2011

Stepping out

I have made the difficult decision to leave my job at Girl Scouts. In two weeks, I'll be starting a journey that is still, in large part, a question mark.

I'm aware some–many–will question why I would leave a job without another lined up. I'm aware there is a stigma attached to resume gaps. I'm aware I'm at risk of disrupting my career path. And I'm aware that it's pretty much impossible to fully explain why I'm taking this leap.

Suffice it to say: it's the right thing for me to do.

Next? I have a few ideas, and my favorite is to be an information architect. I love words, design, and organizing information, and I've always excelled at combining visual and verbal elements to create intuitive paths through content. (That feels like a ridiculous thing to say, but it's true.)

I'm willing to do just about anything to get a foot in the door at an agency, where I could work my way toward becoming an IA. If that means starting as a project manager, I'll start as a project manager. If it means starting as a receptionist, I'll start as a receptionist.

If you have any connections that could help get me in the door at an agency, I'd really appreciate the help.

In the meantime, I'll be focusing on furthering my education (informally), committing to a job search, and developing MadInMinnesota.com.

This is an exciting new chapter, and I can't wait to see what it brings.

3 comments:

Allison Huth said...

Cheers! You are not alone in this wild adventure; your situation feels vaguely familiar... All in all, congrats.

Lynn said...

Good luck with your new chapter! I wouldn't worry about the 'gap' on your resume, especially with how things are nowadays where there is a workforce 'out there' who will not be working for the same company for 40 years.

By the way, what is 'IA'?

Unknown said...

Thanks all!

@Nick and Lynn - IA = information architect. I should have been clearer.