Friday, October 16, 2009

What would you do?

My sister is a student at the University of Wisconsin - Stout. She is in an advertising class that is required to graduate. From all accounts, this professor is a complete waste of space. Her style is to present a PowerPoint slide, leave it up for a few minutes, then turn it off and have the class recite it back to her. She claims this is how bachelors students should learn and interpretive learning should be left to graduate students.

Not surprisingly, every student but one from her two classes failed her first exam of the semester. Here is an example question:

_____ refers to the organization of the elements of a package.

a- structure, b- design, c- layout, d- physique, e- elementation


Being familiar with this language, I confidently told my sister, "Layout." Nope. That's what she said, too. But according to the professor, it's "Design." I'm not even going to get into all the things that are wrong about that.

So anyway, everyone is upset and multiple students have complained to their advisors about this. The university refuses to take any action this semester. And the professor responds, "My teaching style is just different than Western professors."

What would you do? How would you respond to a situation like this? Would you tacitly accept it? Would you organize a sit-in? Start a hashtag? Just raise hell? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in that same advertising class as your sister and agree, it is the worst class in the history of my undergraduate career.

After consulting with a high-level UW-Stout administrator, I talked to the Department of Business Chair and he simply stood up for his professor. That is not surprising. His first words to me after explaining the situation included 'You know that is not an excuse, right?'

He simply said he would talk to her about 'slowing down' her lecture. He said 'we should learn to deal with it' because globalization will force us to work with different cultures in the future.

He even cited this is a common problem with us 'insulated' students in the Midwest. We don't work with diversity often. (He himself is from southern Florida)

The students of this professor are really in a tight bind this semester. What's next? Talking to the Dean of Students?

I doubt UW-Stout will make a move on their own professor even though all this professors students are failing their exams and are having verbal arguments in class over the professors teaching style, or lack of.

I'm not done fighting this battle, I assure you.

Everyone should be granted a 'pass' in this course, bottom line.

Anonymous said...

I think it is important to make you aware, considering my soap box above, that I have a 3.9 cumulative GPA and did her study guide for that exam you mentioned.

Study guide = completely useless and barely related to the exam.

Unknown said...

That's great-- thanks so much for sharing.

My sister is also a great student, which is why I'm taking this so seriously. I can't imagine dealing with a teaching style like that.

Truthfully, I don't think the school will change unless you force them to. I can't imagine a better way to force them to change than by making this extremely public. Get it in blogs, get it on Twitter, and get it in the news. They're not going to want to that kind of publicity.